25 May 2010

Spin me right 'round baby

I've been having fun spinning lately. As I have been airing out the stash in anticipation of spring and summer knitting I found a whole bunch of half finished fiber projects that I've been playing with. I found 4oz of Falkland roving that I got a couple of years ago with the intention of spinning it up and giving it as a Christmas present to a friend. Well, Christmas has come and gone two times now and it didn't happen.. but I found it about a month ago and it spun up like butter. The beautiful blues greens and purples were inspired by the area around where this particular friend grew up. It spun up beautifully to a sport/DK weight. So later this week it will wing it's way off to her :)

The second is a exercise in procrastination. The roving is 4 oz of Louet Northern Lights pencil roving that I bought at Lettuce Knit in Toronto during my honeymoon. I spun the singles over a year ago on my little antique wheel, wound them off onto toilet paper cores and put them in a box and promptly forgot about them. I was going through a box and found the singles and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with them. If I did a regular 2ply I would have ended up with roughly a worsted weight yarn enough for a hat or something along those lines. Instead I decided to ply it with a black thread. It set off the colors nicely, over doubled my yardage, and gave the yarn a nice texture. I think it will eventually turn into a Skinny Ruffles Shawlette by Linden Heflin (whom by the way, I am in love with). Her patterns are always so well written, timeless, and just darn cute!

My next summer spinning project is probably going to involve a pound of Shetland roving that I got at a previous Fiber Expo in Ann Arbor. It's soft and smooshy and I think I'm going to aim for a DK or Worsted weight to combine with a commercial yarn for a sweater when the weather gets cooler.


Photo0181
"Deckerville"

Photo0177
"Rainbow Sherbet"

1 comment:

  1. madonnaearth on ravelryJune 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM

    Ooooo, love the rainbow sherbert especially!

    ReplyDelete