16 January 2012

Getting back on track...

The holidays are finally over and I'm starting to put the pieces of my routine back together. I've done some re-arranging of the storage space in my kitchen and I think that it's going to be a nice change. But I want to get back into the habit of posting my weekly menus.  And because it hasn't been that long into the year I'm posting last week as a bonus!

Jan 8th - Jan 14th
Sunday - Ham & Bean Soup
Monday - Salmon and Couscous Cakes with Tomato, Olive, and Caper Relish
Tuesday - I hit a deer. So we had Chinese.
Wednesday - My friend Anya made Bigos!
Thursday - Pizza Night (home-made of course)
Friday - Leftovers
Saturday - White Beans with Chorizo and Mustard Greens

Jan 15th - Jan 21st
Sunday - Venison Stroganoff
Monday - Broccoli & Mushroom Stir-fry
Tuesday - Whiskey/Marmalade Glazed Salmon with Tatties N' Neeps
Wednesday - Venison, Bacon, White Bean Chili
Thursday - Chickpea & Tomato Stew
Friday - Pasta with Homemade Tomato Sauce
Saturday - Burn's Night Dinner hosted by friends

If you were paying attention to the item above you will note, I hit a deer. In the greater scheme of things it was a little traumatic (I kind of had a 14 hour long panic attack/adrenaline rush that day), but there was minimal damage to the car I was driving, I am alright, and the deer was killed on impact and found pretty quickly by my husband. Donald and I spent most of the afternoon on Wednesday hosting the Amateur Butcher Hour as we broke my deer down into it's edible pieces. All said and done we got about 25 lbs of ground meat, two back loins around 3 lbs total that we cut into medallions and wrapped in bacon, and another 2 lbs of meat that was reserved for this week's menu in the stroganoff and the chili. So between that and the venison that I got as a gift for Christmas (btw, best Christmas gift I get every year!) my freezer is re-stocked for the year!

Also got to catch up with one of my very old and fabulous friends, Lana over the weekend! She drove down and we went to lunch at one of my favorite places in Ann Arbor - Jolly Pumpkin Cafe & Brewery. They had one of my longtime favorites on tap, the La Roja. It's a Flanders-style amber ale that has never disappointed me in it's slightly sour drinkability. It was so great to see Lana as we haven't been in the same place for the last three years or so and if there was any worry about it being a bit awkward those notions were gone in the first few minutes as we fell right back in where we left off. She summed up the day pretty well (and said some really lovely things about me as well) at her newly minted blog over at Martinis And Muscles. You should go visit because she's pretty awesome!

Until next week....

No comments:

Post a Comment