09 August 2009

Simple Mint Syrup

2c Organic Cane Sugar (Because it's one of the sugars I had laying about)
1c water
Generous sprig-worth of mint leaves
1/4tsp citric acid

We've several mint plants growing in our herb boxes right now. There's Mint Julep, Apple Mint, Chocolate Mint, and Kentucky Colonial. The KC is what I used for this recipe.

After measuring out what I needed, I put some of the sugar into the pot and, using the muddler from the bar set, ground the mint in to the sugar crystals. Once the leaves were sufficiently bruised and cut, I added the rest of the sugar and water.

Brought the syrup slowly to a boil, then let it boil for about 3 minutes before cutting the heat, and straining out most of the leaf matter (I wasn't too picky. Small bits in the syrup are just fine for me).

I then mixed in the citric acid powder, and I probably didn't need QUITE as much as I used, but I've had trouble finding information on the appropriate ratios. The citric acid inverts the sugar, preventing crystalisation.

Pour syrup into a bottle, and voila!

Now I just have to find something to DO with it... I'm thinking ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment